Monday, March 11, 2013

Baked Oatmeal In A Mug

It's back! Another installment of Mug Monday! After a very long sabbatical...

Ever since my days at summer camp, I've loved baked oatmeal. In fact, baked oatmeal is actually one of the best-loved and well-known breakfast meals at Camp Luz.

When my parents opened the Cream & Sugar Cafe while I was in high school, we found a recipe that my sister and I decided was close enough to camp's and the love of baked oatmeal spread throughout West Liberty.

Now, in New York, I still love to make baked oatmeal. However, like everything that requires an oven, it was a little inconvenient to have to carry all my supplies to the kitchen one floor up.

Then I got to thinking, I can make regular oatmeal in a mug. And I can bake muffins in a mug; I wonder if I can make my baked oatmeal in the microwave?

I did a little experimenting, cutting down the recipe, adjusting ingredients, and I found that yes, yes you can make baked oatmeal in the microwave! The best part is it's super quick! Just 2 minutes at most to mix up the ingredients and 1-2 minutes to cook it! Plus it's filling, healthy, delicious, oh, and gluten free!


Baked Oatmeal
(Gluten Free)

1 Tablespoon butter
1 1/2 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon milk
dash salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
2 teaspoons cranberries, raisins, dried cherries, chocolate chips, etc. (optional)

Melt the butter in your mug. Add the brown sugar, egg white, milk, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Mix together then add oats and any extras. Stir until oats are coated and liquids aren't settled at the bottom.

Microwave 1-2 minutes (my microwave takes exactly 2 minutes but it's not a very powerful microwave, I would guess that 1 minute 30 seconds would do in most microwaves). When it's done, the oatmeal will pull away from the sides.

Give it a couple minutes to cool, as this is very hot when first out of the microwave, then enjoy warm with some tea, milk, or coffee.




7 comments:

  1. I love the way you experiment and adapt recipes to fit your lifestyle! You are amazing! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I used a banana for the egg white, it's great. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added a tiny bit of vanilla, used about half of an egg mixed together rather than just the egg white, and I added raspberries. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added a tiny bit of vanilla, used about half of an egg mixed together rather than just the egg white, and I added raspberries. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added a tiny bit of vanilla, used about half of an egg mixed together rather than just the egg white, and I added raspberries. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good recipe! I had to use 2 Tbsp milk to get it to cook to the consistency I wanted. I also used half an egg instead of just the white.

    ReplyDelete