Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pizza, Players, and an Open Window

Whew, what a day! A good day :)

I worked at WeSell today, plotting out the locations of venues for a huge Halloween pub crawl. This proved to be a day long task as it involved a lot of double checking and additional steps. But it was actually pretty fun! I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that I'm actually doing what I love and am interested in, as a job!

It's crunch time for this event which meant that everything I was working on had to be done today. My boss, David, had stayed in the office yesterday until 5am this morning and it was looking like tonight was going to be another late night, but for more than just him! Technically I'm supposed to be done at 8 but I don't usually leave until around 8:30. Tonight I left at 11:30. But I was told I'll get paid a little something for staying so long. Plus, we got pizza!

The others left around 10 and at 10:30 disaster struck! David and I were both working on the maps to get them done faster when--suddenly and for no apparent reason, the folder we were saving all our files into just disappeared! Into thin air. This was super scary as it meant we would have to redo EVERYTHING I had been working on that day. Luckily he figured it out and we both rejoiced and got back to work. It was a fun time to get to know some of the other people in the office better. And fun because I enjoy the work :)

I had some entertainment on the subway when a man in his 40's got on the train with a younger friend. The older man was reminiscing about his younger years, "those were the days," and recounting how he was quite a player-- talking of how he would scout out an area and get a feel for it then go to a thrift store and buy cloths that fit the attitude there just so he could pick up the ladies from that area. (He came on the train describing how ladies are actually more judgmental than guys because they size up a man and judge every detail of a man upon first encounter, so naturally he had to dress a certain part to be accepted by ladies.) He was interesting to listen to and I shared a few looks and laughs with a girl across the aisle from me who was also listening to him.

One thing I did learn from him is that the subways would be the worst place possible to be during a flood. He said there was no way to get out of them in an emergency like that and they'd fill right up with water... Which doesn't put very pretty pictures in your head.

I came home to find a new addition to my apartment thanks to the construction outside (some refurbishing of the ole brownstone). I found a rather inconveniently placed extension cord strung from my living room window to an outlet by my door. I was awoken by the sounds of power tools and loud male voices right outside my window the following day. Today there is a layer of dust of some sort on everything laying out on my kitchen counters (which is pretty much all my dishes, spices, some food boxes...). I guess the dust/dirt came in through my window which is still slightly open, only because I can't reach the top of it :/

Anyways, that got very off topic but it was a good day overall :) But now I'm going to attempt to clean up some of this dust... Or go to bed. We'll see how I feel when I stand up.






1 comment:

  1. What an interesting day. I am so glad you are happy and making new friends. Ugh-dust. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete