Monday, October 1, 2012

Weekend Visits and Apple Upside Down Cake

Hey All!

It seems like forever since I've posted. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I've had a lot of excitement the last few days! Over the weekend, a couple of my friends going to school in Virginia drove up for a visit. They brought a guy friend who had two friends from Germany who were on holiday in NYC. It was a fun weekend of seeing old friends as well as making new ones!

We packed a ton of stuff into Saturday: Central Park, Times Square, lunch at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co, Grand Central Station, snacks from Crumbs bakery, Staten Island Ferry, Little Italy, supper at Puglia's, the Brooklyn Bridge... And that's not even including all the extra things we saw/did on the way to those places--street performers, street fairs, we even stumbled across the Pagan Pride Day gathering in Battery Park!

Getting a great view of the Manhattan nighttime skyline
from the Brooklyn Bridge
It was a busy, wonderful day followed by a relaxing Sunday brunch at Argo Tea on 58th Street, before they headed back to college.

I'll talk more about the other exciting stuff tomorrow! Because tonight, it's Mug Monday.

Inspired by the fall weather and the fact that I was going to have guests, I bought a bag of locally grown, gala apples and yum! My inspiration has carried through to finding tasty fall recipes using these apples.

Today I'd like to share a recipe I found for Coffee Cup Upside Down Cake. This recipe originally came from The Wichita Eagle (which made me like it all the more as I went to college 45 minutes from Wichita) and appeared in an article featuring four mug recipes, all of which look pretty delicious.

When I think of Upside Down Cake, I always think of pineapple but I thought that using apple would be a nice tribute to fall and that, likewise, the caramel-y topping would pay a nice tribute to the apples :) I was not disappointed.


Apple Upside Down Mug Cake

2 Tablespoons butter, divided
3 Tablespoons brown sugar, divided
1/2 apple, thinly sliced
1/2 egg
2 Tablespoons milk
Few drops vanilla
1/4 cup flour + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder + 2 shakes salt 
(or 1/4 cup self-rising flour)
2 pinches cinnamon

Lay apple slices, 1 tablespoon of the butter, 2 tablespoons brown sugar in the bottom of a coffee mug. Microwave for 1 minute. Using a fork, mix remaining butter with sugar until creamy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla. Add flour and cinnamon and stir until smooth. 


Swirl the coffee mug to coat all the apples with the sugary butter mixture. Sprinkle with cinnamon.  Pour batter into cup and microwave for 1 minute or until the cake is done. 


If you want to actually see the apples and prettiness of this cake, take a small plate and place it upside down on the top of the mug. Holding the plate to the mug, flip them over so that the cake falls onto the plate, apples up. 


Yum! Happy Fall, happy Monday, happy baking, happy eating :)


Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2012/04/17/2301171/coffee-cup-cooking.html#storylink=cpy



2 comments:

  1. I made these cakes last night for your Dad and I and Oh My Goodness they were amazing!!! Thanks for the great recipe. I guess I will always make two at a time though, cause I don't know how to half an egg! LOL!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you liked them!! And as far as halving an egg, I usually crack it into a small plastic container, beat it with a fork, and just pour half into the batter and save the other half for another, similar recipe or use it in scrambled eggs or something.

      Delete