Monday, September 17, 2012

It's All About Who You Know

Funny story for the day:

I work as a hostess at Hill Country BBQ Market and got the job after a chance meeting with one of the owners at a mutual friend's impromptu comedy show. We met briefly and chatted and when I mentioned my need for a job as well as my waitressing and restaurant experience he gave me his card and said he thought he could set me up with something. Later that week I had an interview with the general manager and 2 weeks later I started training!

I've seen the owner a few more times since then and he has always been friendly and occasionally my co-workers would say something about 'aren't you guys good friends?' I would respond with the story of our random meeting and my good fortune that came from it. 2 days ago however I found out the reason for they're inquiries.

This time I was standing next to a  manager when I saw the owner, from whom I received a high five and compliments on how I was doing. After he left the manager asked me about how exactly we knew each other, through church right? Ummm no... I explained our chance encounter and she burst out laughing. She then told me that when I first started here everyone was nervous and a little scared of me because they all thought I was best friends with the owner. I, of course, had no idea "everyone" knew that I had any connection to the owner and found it hilarious that anyone would be scared of me.

We both had a good laugh and she exclaimed how great it was to find this out on that particular day, which was her last day working there. I still just think it's funny that these crazy rumors were going around about me that had people a little on edge. It does make me wonder how many people are under the impression that I'm some sort of VIP worker... and has that impression changed anything about my working experience there? I don't think so, but who knows?!

Hope this can give a laugh, or at least a chuckle. I know it did for me!

xo ash

No comments:

Post a Comment