Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rainy Day Music

It's been a rainy day here in New York, which, since it wasn't actually raining while I walked to and from the subway, I didn't mind at all! Rain has always been relaxing to me. It's clean and cleansing and fresh. I love the smell of rain, the sound of rain, watching storms roll in, and the sharp chill in the air right after a rain shower takes away the humidity.

Rain is very conducive to relaxing. I always imagine curling up near a window with a good book and cup of tea. However, since this rarely actually happens, I have to find other ways to bring the calming effect of rain into my daily schedule.

The best way I've found to do this is by listening to my Rain Music playlist. Yep, that's right--I have a playlist devoted to rain. This is because I identify music with emotions, certain events, people, or places, moods, seasons, and, yes, weather. Sometimes the songs actually mention rain, sometimes they don't. Rain music is mostly chill, lazy sounding music. I would say it's in the style of artists like Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, Florence + The Machine, and Train, but I am in no way exclusive--when a song speaks to me, it speaks to me :)

Some songs can go either way while others go into my Rain Music category as soon as I hear them. Here are 14 of my go-to rain songs (because I couldn't narrow it down to just 10!). These are songs that I can't listen to on a sunny day without wishing it were raining.

~ Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
~ Eleanor Rigby by The Beatles
~ Boston by Austustana
~ No Rain by Blind Melon
~ Don't Know Why by Nora Jones
~ Bubbly by Colbie Caillat (also on my Morning playlist)
~ While My Guitar Gently Weeps by The Beatles
~ Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Shop (summer rain)
~ Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John
~ Hallelujah covered by Rufus Wainwright
~ She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5
~ Stay With Me by Josh Gracin
~ In the Glass by OK Go
~ Love by Matt White

Does anyone else associate certain music with rain? I'd love to add to my collection if you have any suggestions :)

<3 Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment